Saturday, October 9, 2010

What she said

I, too, was going to blog about our weekend in Denmark.  But I’m afraid that Becca already said just about all of it.  The title for my post was going to be “Hygge, bicycles, and the welfare state.”  I suppose this is what happens after six and a half years together.

I do have this to add: the use of English as a lingua franca is even more widespread than I could have imagined.  Henrik told us that, even though the Scandinavian languages are very similar, when Danes, Norwegians, and Swedes are having communication issues, they all simply switch to English.  Becca overheard a conversation at the GP clinic between a Polish patient and a Danish nurse.  The language used: English, of course.  It makes me feel both fortunate and imperialistic at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment