Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pecan pie, or, Danny can do some food blogging, too

An American friend of ours in London hosted a Thanksgiving dinner last night (I think I may have been the only other American there, so I was very much the native informant), so I brought along a small contribution: chocolate pecan pie.

This was very much a collaborative effort, with the initial idea coming from a version of this made by our friend Lilly at a Thanksgiving dinner several years ago.  Becca’s dad contributed his pie-making expertise.  I also cribbed a bit from a recent issue of Cook’s Illustrated for the crust.  So it was something of an uncertain effort, especially since I couldn’t find any shortening in the local supermarket (I decided to substitute margarine instead (thinking there must be at least some affinity between the various processed-vegetable-fat solids).

Pie crust with chocolate

 + Pecan pie filling =

Filled pie

Bake for 40 minutes and you get this:

Pie, baked

I was a bit disturbed by the size of the cracks, but after cooling they shrank considerably.  Besides, I’m not one to care that much about how something looks.  Taste is what matters, right?  If the speed with which people ate this late night is any guide, I’d say this was a success.  So, thanks Lilly and Caleb!

No comments:

Post a Comment