Sunday, August 1, 2010

My first cricket match

Back in 2005, I played a 20-over cricket match between Christ's MCR and Christ's porters.  Rain came before the MCR's innings was over, so the result was a draw.  A good result for the MCR, since it was clear we were well on our way to losing to a bunch of middle-aged men.

So I count yesterday's fixture between the Hornsey 4th XI and the Highgate 5th XI as my true cricket debut.  A friend of mine here in London plays for Hornsey.  Knowing my fascination with cricket, he asked if I wanted to come along for yesterday's match to fill out the Hornsey XI.  How could I say no?

How did it go?  Well, we won by 42 runs, a comfortable margin, as these things go.  I suspect, though, since you're reading this blog, you're more interested in how I did.

I wasn't a complete failure with the bat.  Just a near-complete one.  After successfully keeping out the first delivery I faced with what the rest of my team kindly described as a "textbook forward defensive," I promptly edged the second ball to first slip, where I was caught out without scoring a run.  For those of you not up on your cricket terminology, you can think of this as me attempting a bunt and instead tipping it to a fielder a yard or so to the right of where the catcher would stand.

In other words, I didn't score any runs.  And I got out at nearly the earliest possible moment.  But at that point, our team already had 175 runs on the board, so it's not as if we were counting on my contribution with the bat.  My eligibility for the Primary Club will have to wait for another day.

In the field, I patrolled square leg and leg slip competently, if unspectacularly.  Basically, I didn't let the ball through my legs, which was really my great fear.

All in all, an enjoyable afternoon.  Maybe next time I'll take a catch and score some runs!

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, the filed internet box score had to make this feel like you've become part of cricket history. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, immortalized as one of six Unsures on the scoresheet. Still, I know which one is me, and you can be sure that I have it bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there any photos of you? Playing sounds awesome, by the way.

    Have you gone to a Tottenham football match yet? They played (and beat) last year's Champions League winners on Tuesday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No photos, sadly. Becca had a camera, but I didn't exactly give her a lot of time to get a photo. In total, I was probably batting for about 30 seconds. Next time.

    No Spurs games yet (tickets aren't cheap), but we're hoping to make it. We'll be sure to let you know when we do.

    ReplyDelete